Over the past few decades, more and more Catholic parishes have been opening their doors to LGBT people, reaching out with a welcome which is called for by Catholic teaching.
The number of parishes interested in establishing some form of LGBT ministry continues to grow every month. The resources on this page can help parishes initiate such a ministry, as well as help parishes with already established ministries to renew and develop their programs.
What You Can Do
How can you make your parish, school, or faith community a more welcoming place for LGBT people? Here are some lists of some simple, practical steps you and your community can take to make sure that LGBT people have a place at the table.
- Don’t guess or gossip about someone’s sexual orientation or gender identity; if concerned, speak to the person privately.
- Examine your own attitudes about LGBTQ people.
- Learn from talking with a parent of an LGBTQ person.
- Get facts, not myths, about sexual orientation and gender identity from trusted scientific and social scientific sources.
- Talk to God about your feelings about LGBTQ people. Be honest. Be open to God’s response.
- Write letters of affirmation to LGBTQ people who work or volunteer in your parish.
Find an LGBT-friendly Catholic parish or faith community near you
Check out New Ways Ministry’s list of LGBT-friendly parishes and intentional eucharistic communities across the United States, and in several other nations.
Sponsor a “Next Steps” program in your parish or community
New Ways Ministry offers a program for parishes, schools, and faith communities to help them start introducing LGBT ministry, as well as for parishes which have already started such ministry who want to develop their programs further. The “Next Steps: Developing Catholic LGBT Ministry” is a program that can be held over the course of a weekend or as a one-day event. The program can be held for a single community or the host can invite people from neighboring Catholic institutions. Click here for more information.
What have Catholic Church leaders said about welcoming LGBT people?
You may be surprised to learn that for over four decades, Catholic Church leaders have been making strong and powerful statements about the importance of welcoming LGBT people into parish life. Click here to find a selection of excerpts from their statements.