- Verses 1-3 speak of the importance of love; verses 4-8a, the definition of love, and verses 8b to 13, the permanence of love. Who are the people in your life who have taught you by word and example each of these categories? What factors enabled those people to demonstrate such love for you? How do you teach love to others?
- If love is patient and kind, what makes us so intent to remove the splinter from another’s eye when there is a log lodged in our own? (Luke 6:42)
- “There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear” – 1 John 4:18. In your experience, how are love and fear related?
- Based on verse 11 and your own experience, what role does maturity play in one’s ability to love? How is mature love different from childish love?
- What are some things you “see in a mirror dimly” that you hope to see more clearly?
- How would you rank faith, hope and love? At this time in your life, what is greatest for you?
In the animated film below – In A Heartbeat – “a school-aged boy is outed by his very own heart, which pops out of his chest to chase down another male classmate on whom the boy has a crush. The film follows the boy as he tries to contain his heart, all the while containing the emotions that are common when a person’s crush is revealed.” (NBC News)
In A Heartbeat has pure and simple charm and lends beautifully to the writings of the apostle Paul where the greatest of these – faith, hope and love – is love.