NEWS NOTES: July 18, 2013
Here are some items you might find of interest:
1) Cardinal Camillo Ruini, the retired Vicar General of the Rome diocese, responded to the U.S. Supreme Court’s decisions on marriage equality by calling same-sex marriage an “illusion,” reports On Top magazine.
2) New Ways Ministry Executive Director Francis DeBernardo published an op-ed on Advocate.com explaining that while Catholic bishops may decry the U.S. Supreme Court’s recent decisions, Catholic lay people are rejoicing at the news.
3) The mother of a gay son reflects on her participation in the “Dirty Hands” demonstration at New York’s St. Patrick Cathedral. Her thoughts can be read in a Fortunate Families blog post.
4) St. Louis, Missouri’s Catholic Action Network for Social Justice participated in their city’s Pride Festival, spreading a message of Catholic inclusion and welcome, reports RiverfrontTimes.com.
5) Alaskan U.S. Senator Lisa Murkowski, a Catholic and a Republican, has announced her support for marriage equality, according to an op-ed published on her website. Relevant excerpts can be found in a news story on TV.msnbc.com.
–Francis DeBernardo, New Ways Ministry
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!